Thursday, June 19, 2008

OuT oF tHE mOUtH of BabES

I really wish I could post pics of my students, or video's really, so you could see and hear the funny things they say. Well, about a week ago one of my students came up to me and said,

"Miss Finley, we should really call you Mrs. Finley because you're dating someone, hehehehe."

For some reason my students have been obsessed with the idea me dating someone...just a little history...I was dating someone back in the spring time and one of them heard me talking to a co-worker about it at recess and then went and told the entire second grade student body (225 students who all know me pretty well because I taught a lot of them in Kindergarten...) They all went home and told their parents and you can just imagine the questions I get in return... well then we went off track and I never had the heart to them that I wasn't dating him anymore and so every once in a while they'll make comments about it. Then yesterday, one of my kids was filling out a paper that I made asking my students what advice they would give to my next years students and what they should know about me. And one of the kids wrote,

"She's almost married!"

What the heck! I swear, things like this would never happen outside of the state of Utah! JK...HA! Are we warping our children? Or is it a good thing that they expect all relationships to go from dating to marriage in 6 seconds flat. I realize they are just kids, it just makes me chuckle. And I'm sure any kid would make connections like that. Then a substitute asked me on Monday about being single and then related me to her sister who was 34 when she got married, okay guys, I'm 24...that's a ten year difference (well 9, unfortunately I'll be a quarter of a century in the near future...). Has everyone given up on me? Does that mean 24 is pretty much 34 if I'm not married...does not being married qualify as me older than I really am? I don't know, I just have to laugh at all these things that have been happening. It just seems like my singleness haunts me, but I just never get as scared as everyone else, hmmm. All I know is that I have to do what I know is right in my heart, keep praying for answers, live my life and be the best me I can be, right?

2 comments:

Alanna said...

I love what your students have said. I am going to check and see if I still have an email that a friend sent me. If I do then I am going to forward it to you. It's thoughts on marriage...

JRome said...

It's only in Utah. It's more noticeable perhaps because (I'm assuming) that the majority of your students belong to a homogenous group.

Don't worry, your worth isn't validated by a wedding ring or the lack thereof.

You've got an exciting life worth leading. You know where you stand and don't let others dictate your worth. Too bad, others only see what you don't have instead of what you really have.

Good to read that you've got a sense of humor about it though.

Have fun and enjoy CO!

View Count

About Me

Life as it for Tiffany Finley is quite the revolving door, one activity ends and I’m back on the rebound, looking for something to spice it up! Live it up, I tell you! Although, those who know me well, know my limits of “living it up!” A whirlwind of terrible singing, dancing, playful banter, blunt responses, sweet and endearing but firm and serious remarks to children, speaking/slaughtering accents that I’ve spun from memory, are a just a few of my favorite things….I delight in waking to the sunrise, driving to an incredible place of work, where I am able to express my true self regularly! My students call me "Crazy. ” This is where the song and dance comes into play, whether we are learning about adjectives or writing our names on our papers, I’ve got a song and cheer for it all! I’m passionate about traveling and walking down narrow pathways. In my spare time, I enjoy taking walks in the park…I’ve been known to disappear in the dark of the night, only to be found on the swings. I also love to organize and re-organize, I can never quite get things right. I thoroughly enjoy people watching.