Saturday, January 24, 2009
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
We colored a picture of Pres. Obama today. All my brown children, excuse my lack of political correctness…well anyway, all of my brown (many nationalities) students started coloring right away. Meanwhile many of my white students hesitated. Then one girl shouted to the class, “what color do I color him?” Another student said “brown.” She responded, “but everyone says he’s the first black president.” A couple students tried to explain that black doesn’t always mean black. Then a kid sitting at another table said, “just look at Austin, he’s from the same country as Obama.”
Monday, January 19, 2009
I was tagged by Carolyn to pick the things I've done on the list. Between Carolyn and I, I think we've done them all, well most of them at least!
I tag Niki, Kristy, and Halceyn!
The things I have done are in green:
1. Started my own blog
2. Slept under the stars
3. Played in a band (Rock Band!)
4. Visited Hawaii
5. Watched a meteor shower
6. Given more than I can afford to charity
7. Been to Disneyland/world
8. Climbed a mountain
10. Sung a solo
11. Bungee jumped
12. Visited Paris
13. Watched lightening at sea
14. Taught myself art from scratch
15. Adopted a child (does mentoring count?)
16. Had food poisoning (Yes! And I NEVER want it again!)
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty
18. Grown my own vegetables (Only at school...)
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France (it's so much smaller than I imagined)
20. Slept on an overnight train (on the way to Switzerland...it was a rough night's sleep!)
21. Had a pillow fight
22. Hitchhiked (does car trouble count...?)
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill (mental health day!:) shhh)
24. Built a snow fort
25. Held a lamb
26. Gone swimming at night
27. Run a Marathon
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice (I want too! I love Italy!)
29. Seen a total eclipse
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset
31. Hit a home run
32. Been on a cruise (Day cruise...)
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of my ancestors
35. Seen an Amish community
36. Taught myself a new language (currently Spanish...advise?)
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Gone rock climbing (indoor)
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David
41. Sung karaoke (unfortuneately for everyone else!)
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
44. Visited Africa
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight
46. Been transported in an ambulance
47. Had my portrait painted
48. Gone deep sea fishing
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling
52. Kissed in the rain (2009?)
53. Played in the mud (YM/YW Mutual rocks!)
54. Gone to a drive-in theater
55. Been in a movie (Foothills Elementary Production, ha!)
56. Visited the Great Wall of China (Someday...)
57. Started a business (I'm working on it...)
58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Visited Russia (Not yet...)
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies (Nope just school fundraiser cookies)
62. Gone whale watching
63. Got flowers for no reason (yes! From Carolyn!)
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma
65. Gone sky diving (2009!)
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp (Anne Frank home...that's all)
67. Bounced a check (Freshman year of college! I was sooo embarrassed!)
68. Flown in a helicopter (not yet...I gave my parents a gift one year to do that...I'll go someday!)
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy (typewriter!)
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
71. Eaten Caviar
72. Pieced a quilt
73. Stood in Times Square
74. Toured the Everglades
75. Been fired from a job (does weeding count?)
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
77. Broken a bone
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person
80. Published a book (not yet...)
81. Visited the Vatican
82. Bought a brand new car (probably never will...)
83. Walked in Jerusalem (Thought about it!)
84. Had my picture in the newspaper
85. Read the entire Bible (Um, no...need to work on that!)
86. Visited the White House
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
88. Had chickenpox
89. Saved someone’s life (how so? :))
90. Sat on a jury
91. Met someone famous
92. Joined a book club
93. Lost a loved one
94. Had a baby
95. Seen the Alamo in person
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
97. Been involved in a law suit
98. Owned a cell phone
99. Been stung by a bee
100. Rode an elephant (someday... when I get to Bali!)
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Here are some misc. things I've wanted to write somewhere and since the journal thing isn't really working out, I'm gonna write it here. Feel free to STOP reading here, sorry I bore you with my silly day to day things!
1. It took me five minutes to find my car today! Turnberry Apts has some serious parking shortage issues which doesn't lend any help to my short term memory in the morning! I am grateful for car beepers!
2. Last night at FHE, after giving my input on the topic of discussion, I called on someone who was raising their hand as if I was teaching (which I wasn't!) I was so embarrassed! I guess once a teacher, always a teacher! I also find myself wanting to discipline kids in grocery stores all the time! Oh, man!
3. Our carpets were cleaned today! My trail of rubber cement looks a lot lighter now!
4. Over Christmas Break I had a dream that was hilarious! I was teaching my brother to fly...no plane needed, it was just a matter of positioning your feet and knowing that you had that power (only endowed members of the church could fly, but not everyone knew that they had the ability). Crazy, whacked out dream I know, but it was AWESOME! I remember showing him my favorite parts of Chicago and short cuts to different cities!
5. One my students said to me today "I really like your purse! Can I have it when you die?" Can you believe she said that! I must be ancient to them!
6. I have a confession...I really don't absolutely love my blog title...will I every find something I like? Seriously? I can't make up my mind! I loved the phrase "Life Happens" because that is something I realized I say all the time without thinking about it. Then I thought of all the other things I say all the time and attached them too... Then I saw that someone I know has the same title! I just feel so unsettled about my blog title and it's such a lame thing to EVEN THINK ABOUT...I am wasting valuable thinking time and blogging time on this issue! Oh well...someday I'll come up with the perfect title, watch you'll see! It's like naming a child or something, it's gotta mean something right? Finley Files? That one crossed my mind today... too cheesy... hmmm...
That's all folks!
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Thursday, January 8, 2009
And so...this is how the title of my blog came about today...I think this one might actually stick, we shall see:). It's funny because I called up a someone the other day and that was dealing with some extensive car costs due to no fault of their own and they said "sh#* happens." It made me laugh because this person hardly ever swears! So there you have it, a new blog title! Perhaps this might be a monumental day for my blog! Time will only tell! I wanted to use the word "real" in my title but I couldn't think of anything clever... I like the word real, I like to keep it REAL! No phony Bologna!
Monday, January 5, 2009
So that's my latest term for those guys I see once or twice and they intrigue me... the 5 second crush can turn into 6, 7, 8...you get the picture. It seems like lately they start at 5, move up to 7 or 8 and drop to 0 instantly when I realize I was totally just fantasizing them into my ideal, decades of emotion, take my breathe away, type of crush!
1.to press or squeeze with a force that destroys or deforms.
2. to squeeze or pound into small fragments or particles, as ore, stone, etc.
3. to force out by pressing or squeezing; extract: to crush cottonseeds in order to produce oil.
4. to rumple; wrinkle; crease.
5. to smooth or flatten by pressure: to crush leather.
6. to hug or embrace forcibly or strongly: He crushed her in his arms.
7. to destroy, subdue, or suppress utterly: to crush a revolt.
8. to overwhelm with confusion, chagrin, or humiliation, as by argumentation or a slighting action or remark; squelch.
9. to oppress grievously.
10. Archaic. to finish drinking (wine, ale, etc.).–verb (used without object)
11. to become crushed.
12. to advance with crushing; press or crowd forcibly.–noun
13. the act of crushing; state of being crushed.
14. a great crowd: a crush of shoppers.
a. an intense but usually short-lived infatuation.
b. the object of such an infatuation: Who is your latest crush?
Sunday, January 4, 2009
Funny thing to share. A few months ago while baring my testimony at church, I saw guy in the audience that looked familiar...I tried not to make eye contact for fear that he would think I was crazy stalker, a common fear of single adults. Turns out he was doing the same thing! It was Bryan Hinton! We went to the first two years of High School together, then he moved to Kansas. I thought, what a small world! He was actually just visiting, but is in a ward that also meets in my building and does activities with my ward often. Then last Sunday I was walking down the hall and saw a familiar face and I said, "is that Derek Sorensen?!!?" And it was! He just joined my ward! Weird! I don't think I've seen Derek since high school!
So, all this running into people and talking to people who currently live here like Cathy Olivas, Wray Dix, and Carolyn Detro inspired a reunion of sorts! Carolyn wasn't able to make it, but we sure did miss here! It was fun to meet Kathy's fiance and Wray's wife! Both perfect matches that I would have never put together! Katie's married too, but didn't bring her honey, next time. I never knew Katie very well because she moved about the same time I moved in, but she came to girls camp and visited now and again, she's a riot!
- Life as it for Tiffany Finley is quite the revolving door, one activity ends and I’m back on the rebound, looking for something to spice it up! Live it up, I tell you! Although, those who know me well, know my limits of “living it up!” A whirlwind of terrible singing, dancing, playful banter, blunt responses, sweet and endearing but firm and serious remarks to children, speaking/slaughtering accents that I’ve spun from memory, are a just a few of my favorite things….I delight in waking to the sunrise, driving to an incredible place of work, where I am able to express my true self regularly! My students call me "Crazy. ” This is where the song and dance comes into play, whether we are learning about adjectives or writing our names on our papers, I’ve got a song and cheer for it all! I’m passionate about traveling and walking down narrow pathways. In my spare time, I enjoy taking walks in the park…I’ve been known to disappear in the dark of the night, only to be found on the swings. I also love to organize and re-organize, I can never quite get things right. I thoroughly enjoy people watching.