Saturday, April 11, 2009

BoRiNG!

Sorry for all of the boring, soul-less posts lately! If I had something slightly amusing or thought provoking, I 'd share, I promise.

There's been one thing that's been sucking the life out of me and that's one of my poor students or many of my students for that matter. The stress of it all has caused some serious tension in my upper back and sleepless nights.

Let me paint a picture of this kid for ya. Each day he walks in to school with this creepy smirk on his face. His eyes are sunk in, his arms seem to drag and sway side to side like a zombie. He sits at his desk, begins to silent read like the rest of the kids...then he falls asleep. A couple hours later he wakes up to the first recess bell. I try to talk to him about his night. He tells me how he stayed up playing video games and watching TV. He didn't have breakfast so I give him a granola bar. He eats a bite or two. He goes to recess. The bell rings. Mrs. Johnson comes to tell me that he hit a girl at recess and is down at the office. His parents are notified. He's given in school suspension the next day. He comes back to school a day later. He's grumpy and angry. I try to work with him on our language arts lesson. He breaks the pencil in half. He can't find anything in his desk, he starts throwing it all over the classroom. Students stare. I try to remain calm and continue teaching and working with students. A students puts the bucket of supplies (scissors, glue, etc) on his desk. He gets mad, pushes it off his desk. Calls the kids names. He gets upset, he fold his arms and will not tell me what happened. I continue teaching. I look over, he's rubbing his fists and staring at another student. I investigate.

Day in and day out for an entire school year this happens...there are so many details I must leave out due to the severity of the issues we've had with this kid and for privacy sake. It pains me to know his home life. My heart goes out to this child. He needs help. The rest of the class should not have to suffer in fear in the meanwhile. This week we had a big meeting...I'm hoping to see change. The thing is, I love this kid. There are times when I can talk to him, when he's engaged in class discussions and when you can see that he has potential to be the biggest sweet heart that ever lived.

It makes me so grateful for my life, my parents, my friends. I feel so blessed and lucky to be raised by good parents and to be surrounded by amazing friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Alanna said...

That is so sad that this kid has such a rough life! You are like me, I get so wrapped up in my students that sometimes I loose sleep worrying about them or trying to think of ways to help them! I hope all of you are able to find ways to help him! It truly takes a village to raise a child!

View Count

About Me

Life as it for Tiffany Finley is quite the revolving door, one activity ends and I’m back on the rebound, looking for something to spice it up! Live it up, I tell you! Although, those who know me well, know my limits of “living it up!” A whirlwind of terrible singing, dancing, playful banter, blunt responses, sweet and endearing but firm and serious remarks to children, speaking/slaughtering accents that I’ve spun from memory, are a just a few of my favorite things….I delight in waking to the sunrise, driving to an incredible place of work, where I am able to express my true self regularly! My students call me "Crazy. ” This is where the song and dance comes into play, whether we are learning about adjectives or writing our names on our papers, I’ve got a song and cheer for it all! I’m passionate about traveling and walking down narrow pathways. In my spare time, I enjoy taking walks in the park…I’ve been known to disappear in the dark of the night, only to be found on the swings. I also love to organize and re-organize, I can never quite get things right. I thoroughly enjoy people watching.