Sunday, September 20, 2009

"I forgot how we mett, but I'm glad we did."--6th Grader

I came across a note that a 6th grade boy wrote to me at the end of last year. This kid was a Safety Patrol kid. I typically say hi to all the Safety Patrol kids in the hallway in the morning. This particular kid liked to make small talk. At the end of last school year I received this note from him. (I'll try to copy his exact spelling and punctuation for effect. PS I was never his teacher, so don't blame me for his mistakes!)

Front of Card: "Best Teacher Ever" Written in bubble letters and colored very nice.

Left Inside of Card: (There are lots of random messages written all over the page): "Good Bye," "Bye," "I hope I will see u ever again," "I forgot how we mett, but I'm glad we did," "Hope to See U." **As you can tell from the title of this post, "I forgot how we mett, but I'm glad we did" was my favorite line! He's going to be a little heart breaker as he begins to date! How sweet is he.

Right Inside of Card:

"Dear, Mrs. finlly,

I'm just saying thanks for being a cool teacher. I will have to say you and Mrs. Radman are the coolest teachers in the whole school. You guys are funny, and you guys are easy to talk to, for example all the other teachers I cant really talk to them, because they are all strict, but you guys are not even like that. I wish I was in 2nd grade, so I can't be in your class next year, or mrs. Radmans. This my last day of school so Bye.
By: Collin (Not Real Name)

P. S.-I hope I spelled your name rite. I will viset u one's in a while."

It's cute little notes like this that make my job to worth it! This kid came last week to visit and tell us about middle school. I feel so blessed to be working in the area I do. A lot of the kids we teach don't have the best home life and need adult role models to be supports and mentors. I count my lucky stars that my own parents were pretty darn amazing. It's so true that you don't know what you have when you have it. Working in a poverty stricken population has definitely given me more insight into the world. I love these kids with all my heart. I've learned that it's important to be firm and to teach the kids structure, but it's also important to show love and tender mercies to these poor children.

Another recent story. Last Friday, my little homeless student, let's call him Tony; Tony came in and told me that he had to give away his dog. I asked him why and he said because they couldn't afford to feed him. He seemed a little distraught about the whole thing. Another student, Callie, came up and asked what was wrong. He proceeded to tell her that his family didn't have money to feed his dog. Callie's response was priceless, "Oh Tony, you don't have to give your dog away. My family has food for it. We have wet food and dry food. We got it from the church." Wow. Wow. Wow. The irony... Callie was so gentle and showed Christlike empathy towards this kid. I may have even shed a little tiny tear (teachers aren't emotional, so of course I would never cry at school:)). I was so impressed by this little girls genuine concern. It made me want to be a little better, serve a little more, and really consider the needs of the people around me.

My class this year is very diverse. There are 7 different races in my class. 70% are on free or reduced lunch. One of my students barely knows his abc's and another student can read 245 words per minute with great comprehension. This class is more calm than previous classes, a little chatty at times, but what 9 year old isn't?!? They seem to be more generous and thoughtful than previous classes as well. However, they haven't quite picked up on all of my jokes and are not nearly as witty as last years class...but I'll take less wit over sassy kids when it comes to teaching and maintaining a respectful classroom environment. I think this is going to be a good year. I'm excited! Cheers to a good year!

Well if you've made this far in my little rant, I have a cookie for you...too bad most of you live to far away to come get it, hehe!

4 comments:

Katielin317 said...

I love this post. Thank you so much for sharing!

Milmonster said...

Oh, reading that made me miss teaching. You have the second best job in the world (being a mother as #1)!

Unknown said...

Look at you go girl! You are amazing--and don't forget it. Keep making that difference and inspiring others (like little Miss M...I need it too... :)

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

Great teacher stories. Keep them coming!!

View Count

About Me

Life as it for Tiffany Finley is quite the revolving door, one activity ends and I’m back on the rebound, looking for something to spice it up! Live it up, I tell you! Although, those who know me well, know my limits of “living it up!” A whirlwind of terrible singing, dancing, playful banter, blunt responses, sweet and endearing but firm and serious remarks to children, speaking/slaughtering accents that I’ve spun from memory, are a just a few of my favorite things….I delight in waking to the sunrise, driving to an incredible place of work, where I am able to express my true self regularly! My students call me "Crazy. ” This is where the song and dance comes into play, whether we are learning about adjectives or writing our names on our papers, I’ve got a song and cheer for it all! I’m passionate about traveling and walking down narrow pathways. In my spare time, I enjoy taking walks in the park…I’ve been known to disappear in the dark of the night, only to be found on the swings. I also love to organize and re-organize, I can never quite get things right. I thoroughly enjoy people watching.