Saturday, September 26, 2009

SoMEtHiNG BiG Is gOiNg DowN!

That’s right…SOMETHING BIG IS GOING DOWN! I’ve been wanting to kick my behind into gear for a while now…saying things like “next week I’ll start doing this” or “for sure I’ll do that tomorrow.” Well those little sayings are well slowly diminishing! Something has overcome me. I feel like that song “Live Like You are Dying.” Now for the evidence…

Evidence #1- Last week, I took all the vegetables in my fridge and made up a recipe for vegetable soup in my crock-pot! You might ask, what’s the big deal about making soup, whoopteedoo. The big deal is that I haven’t really been making meals for a while, just sandwiches and lean cuisines, etc. As of late, I’ve made fresh salads, soups, barbecued chicken and all sorts of yummy, healthy meals. Oh and I haven’t been out to eat in over a month! It’s a new record!

Evidence #2- I used to say someday I would learn to quilt. A few weeks ago I attended my first quilting class. It’s once a month. A square a month. I figure I can do that. Sounds like I’ve gone domestic doesn’t it… oh wow! Maybe this has something to do with turning a year older and being on the down hill slope to 30… teehee.

Evidence #3- I sat down and decided “What Matters Most?” This was inspired by a Relief Society/Enrichment lesson and a talk entitled “What Matters Most?” A few blogs ago I wrote about how I was inspired to change a few things. Well I’ve been working on some of those things. I wrote down all kinds of goals, sorta like new years resolutions. Yeah, it’s almost October, but what they hay…maybe I’ll just be that much more prepared, one can only hope. Here is just a glimpse into a few of my goals…
Spiritual- Read Book of Mormon, 6 pages minimum/day to finish by Christmas. Temple, weekly. Magnify callings.
Physical-Exercise 30 min/day. Continue my healthy eating kick.
Intellectual- Read 1book/month. (Finish The Persian Pickle Club and then Breaking Dawn). 20 minutes tops on the computer on weekdays. Take another ele. teaching math class.
Emotional- Journal 1/week (This one is a hard one, you all might have to help me out with this one) and Weekly service.
Financial- Stay within budget. Look for a part time job, so I can save more…turns out being salary isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Oh yeah, I work for the State…

Evidence #4- I go to the gym or go walking with Niki and/or my mom. I love the theater cinema at Gold’s Gym! I love when they play action films, I get walking or running with the music. It can be slightly embarrassing if I laugh out loud, I’m working on it okay…

Evidence #5- I make my bed every single day without fail. I’ve been doing this since school began. It’s a miracle. No more hit and miss!

Evidence #6- I’ve lost a few inches in my waist! That’s right, the junk in my trunk has shrunk…well not really my trunk but you get my drift.

Evidence #7- I feel good. I want to better myself. I wake up each day wanting to be a little better. I believe. I pray. I hope.

So yeah, when these times of motivation come, you just have to take them and run with them! I have so many things and goals I want to accomplish now and by doing the simple ones I listed I know I can accomplish all things I set forth to do!

This quote has helped me out a lot lately:

"You can have anything you want, if you want it badly enough. You can be anything you want to be, if you hold that desire with singleness of purpose."-Abraham Lincoln

So what matters most to me? What matters most is that I am being true to myself. That I’m making the most out of my life and accomplishing what the Lord has set for me to do. That I fill my days with things that are going to ultimately make me a better woman, a better friend, a better sister, a better daughter, a better teacher, a better citizen, a better mother (someday), a better wife (someday), and an all around better human being.

My first attempts at quilting...not bad eh? It took 5 hours...!

7 comments:

Katey said...

Ok totally love this post! I need to do a re-evaluation myself and this makes me want to do it even more.

There is a lot I want to comment but I will just say a little here so we have something to actually talk about when we finally get together in person.

First off, I have a 3 month BOM reading schedule that I just started. I will send it your way...it might make that 6 pages thing a little more chapterish.

Secondly, remember that baby quilt stuff you bought way back when with me...we should get together and work on that sometime but I'm proud to see the awesome quilting work you are doing!

Thirdly, way to go and making so many good goals. I need to have a few more focused goals for certain.

Fourth, awesome inch losing! Go you and keep it up. I'm back on the plan as you saw from my FB status and I'm back to my exercising routine. I just need to really stick to it. I put on a bit of weight with all the mom stuff but the time is now to make that change. So here goes!

Lastly, we need to get together and stop saying we should and just plan it. I'm free any night next week, all day Friday and Saturday. Say a time and place and I will commit!

Thanks again for sharing your goals and successes...it's encouraging!

Milmonster said...

Good for you! I could take some lessons from you.

Natalie Redd said...

And I am amazed that some smart guy has not latched onto you!!! You're a keeper! I wish I knew someone!

Alanna said...

I loved your post! Thanks! It makes me want to sit down and re-evaluate my life! I love to "live like I'm dying." I feel like I did that during the summer! I love accomplishing things I never thought I could do...like skydive, run a half marathon, and organize a successful 5K for a good cause!

Keep it up!!!

Anonymous said...

You are a freaking super star! Way to make the most of life! It's amazing what you've accomplished in the same hours a day that I have! I have noticed the shrunken trunk by the way ;) And the smile on your face is even happier (didn't know that was possible!) I've never been to Ensign Peak either and NEED TO GO! You are an amazing person, Tiff! I love you!!!!

Tiffany said...

Thanks girls! You are all so sweeet!

Katey-let's make those baby blankets!!! I'm ready to get that ball rollin'!

Kira-Thanks for noticing, haha! Someday you might not recognize me! Haha, one can hope!

Queen of Kings said...

Tiff,
YOU'RE AMAZING!!! This post totally inspires me to be better! You look great in your pics and I think you're amazing keep it up sister!

View Count

About Me

Life as it for Tiffany Finley is quite the revolving door, one activity ends and I’m back on the rebound, looking for something to spice it up! Live it up, I tell you! Although, those who know me well, know my limits of “living it up!” A whirlwind of terrible singing, dancing, playful banter, blunt responses, sweet and endearing but firm and serious remarks to children, speaking/slaughtering accents that I’ve spun from memory, are a just a few of my favorite things….I delight in waking to the sunrise, driving to an incredible place of work, where I am able to express my true self regularly! My students call me "Crazy. ” This is where the song and dance comes into play, whether we are learning about adjectives or writing our names on our papers, I’ve got a song and cheer for it all! I’m passionate about traveling and walking down narrow pathways. In my spare time, I enjoy taking walks in the park…I’ve been known to disappear in the dark of the night, only to be found on the swings. I also love to organize and re-organize, I can never quite get things right. I thoroughly enjoy people watching.