Monday, December 24, 2007

L-7 Loser!


Yesterday I attended my parent’s family ward. I really enjoyed the Christmas program. The part when the children came up was precious! It’s hard to believe I used to be a kid… While sitting with my family, I couldn’t help but look around and see all the families, both young and old. I don’t know my families ward very well but I do seem to recognize most families even if I don’t know them. On this particular Sunday I noticed a family sitting right behind us with older children, I thought to myself “jackpot, maybe they have some bachelors around!” Just kidding I didn’t really think that I just thought hmmm, maybe someone who I can actually relate to:). So I went on my merry way to the rest of my meetings… I sat down in Relief Society by my mom, my sister, a girl my sisters age, and my sister’s friend/roommate Sarah whose family is also in the ward. Sarah’s mom comes waltzing into Relief Society (normally she is in primary) with an older man…the father of the family who was sitting behind us in sacrament…Sarah’s mom Penny introduces him to Sarah and then Penny asked me hold old I was (skipping my sister and the other girl). I thought she was asking how I was doing and so I replied, “good, thanks.” She asked again “how old are you?” I quickly replied 24…and then the guy that Penny brought in said, “I just like to know all the young ladies in the ward because I have an eligible bachelor at home!” I couldn’t believe it! How embarrassing…! I can’t help but wonder if he saw me noticing his family. I have to believe that he really just wants to line his son up with someone…someone meaning anyone, regardless if they’re a match! Wow…I was all shades of red!

This experience has me thinking about blind dates…Now let me just tell you, I typically despise blind dates. I hate that aching, knotting feeling you get inside when you can tell your blind date would rather be washing his dogs hair than to be out with you right now! However, recently I’ve discovered this “what do I have to loose” attitude. If the blind date hates me, it’s completely his fault, just because I’m not his “ideal lover” doesn’t mean he can’t be cordial( I realize I can be awkward, but hopefully not awkward enough to be rude.) Blind dates definitely define your true colors. These dates aren’t intended to be arranged marriage proposals…they’re meant to be fun, get to know someone new, get an idea for if you’d want to get to know them more, dates, right? Does anyone agree with me? Or am I totally off-base in my thinking, or is this just a utopian ideal? Please send me your comments…

2 comments:

Alanna said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I used to hate blind dates but now I have the attitude that there's not much I can loose. I also know what you mean about being in your family ward and seeing all the married happy families...

Tiffany said...

Yeah, I'm not alone!

View Count

About Me

Life as it for Tiffany Finley is quite the revolving door, one activity ends and I’m back on the rebound, looking for something to spice it up! Live it up, I tell you! Although, those who know me well, know my limits of “living it up!” A whirlwind of terrible singing, dancing, playful banter, blunt responses, sweet and endearing but firm and serious remarks to children, speaking/slaughtering accents that I’ve spun from memory, are a just a few of my favorite things….I delight in waking to the sunrise, driving to an incredible place of work, where I am able to express my true self regularly! My students call me "Crazy. ” This is where the song and dance comes into play, whether we are learning about adjectives or writing our names on our papers, I’ve got a song and cheer for it all! I’m passionate about traveling and walking down narrow pathways. In my spare time, I enjoy taking walks in the park…I’ve been known to disappear in the dark of the night, only to be found on the swings. I also love to organize and re-organize, I can never quite get things right. I thoroughly enjoy people watching.