Saturday, January 5, 2008

KidS sAy tHe DaRNdeSt ThINgS

Story 1

This week in Camp Finley during Writer’s Workshop time, we wrote about our New Years Resolutions. I told my kids (students) that I was giving up sugar as one of my resolutions. There were a lot of shocked faces and a few nods (some kids worship me, weird huh!) One student asked about holidays and I told them that holidays were the only exception. One darling little girl raised her hand and said “some days you’re gonna wish everyday was a holiday!” I couldn’t agree more! I replied, “You’re absolutely right, some days I will wish that!

Story 2

The next day...

Background info: Before we went off track we talked about a reading strategy called "Making Connections." This is a great comprehension strategy! We talk about making connections as we read, text-to-self connections, text-to-text connections and text-to-media connections. We learn that as we make connections while we read, we are more likely to remember the story.

As a review, this week I posed the question, "What are connections?" I called on an adorable little girl in my class and her response was "it's when two people who find each other, love each other." Apparently she forgot our reading strategy over the break☺. Her precious little answer made me turn a slight shade of red and a little giggle escaped (my dad doesn’t call me giggles for no reason at all, I can’t help it sometimes!) I had to quickly call on someone that I knew would know the answer. It’s obvious that she’s learned a thing or two about love connections...kids grow up fast these days!

2 comments:

Katey said...

Little kids...Gotta love 'em. I enjoy hearing what they have to say...you should definitly keep a log of the good ones and post them.

That one little girl sure was right though...we are gonna wish everyday was a holiday!!! I'm still doing ok for now. :)

Matt and Carolyn said...

HAHAH! Those are hilarious! I love it!

View Count

About Me

Life as it for Tiffany Finley is quite the revolving door, one activity ends and I’m back on the rebound, looking for something to spice it up! Live it up, I tell you! Although, those who know me well, know my limits of “living it up!” A whirlwind of terrible singing, dancing, playful banter, blunt responses, sweet and endearing but firm and serious remarks to children, speaking/slaughtering accents that I’ve spun from memory, are a just a few of my favorite things….I delight in waking to the sunrise, driving to an incredible place of work, where I am able to express my true self regularly! My students call me "Crazy. ” This is where the song and dance comes into play, whether we are learning about adjectives or writing our names on our papers, I’ve got a song and cheer for it all! I’m passionate about traveling and walking down narrow pathways. In my spare time, I enjoy taking walks in the park…I’ve been known to disappear in the dark of the night, only to be found on the swings. I also love to organize and re-organize, I can never quite get things right. I thoroughly enjoy people watching.