Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Finley Funnies!


Finley Funnies is a Column I'm writing here in my blog and is dedicated to the great things kids say!


This week in Camp Finley... (Student's actual names will not be used.)


Darren: "Miss Finley, um, some people think I speak Spanish, but I don't. I'm not a Mexican. I speak Navajo."


Henry: "Can we have a talking time? Because you always say this is a working time, or a reading time, or a listening time, or a taking turns to talk time, but can we just have a talking time?"


Libby: "Miss Finley, do you like your shirt?"

Miss Finley: "Yeah, I like it alright."

Libby: "That's my favorite shirt of yours!"


Ben's classwork: When given the assignment to write two words that when put together, make a new word, otherwise known as a compound word wrote: Bill + Ding = Billding. It took me a minute to figure this one out. He meant BUILDING! What do you think...time to teach the difference between syllables and compounds?


Flashback Funny:

My second year of teaching I had the two funnies kids ever in my class. I really wish I could write their names and pay them tribute to their comedy! Let me paint a picture of these two boys who where best friends. One boy was very small, maybe kindergarten size but in second grade. He had a speech impediment and had a hard time say his "r"s. For privacy, let's call him Larry, and for the sake of painting a picture let's give his code name with two R's because his had two "r"s. Saying his name was obviously not easy for this little guy. The other boy was his best friend! They were inseparable! Let's call him Tanner. He was larger than the other second graders and let's just say most kids would know not to mess with him. Both boys were very intelligent.

Now for the funny story. On Secretaries day I had the kids write letters telling the secretaries how wonderful they were. Tanner wrote a very clever letter, not out of the usual for him. Larry wrote a very simple, get the job done type a letter, also very typical for him. He was very gifted, but smart enough to know that a simple letter would get him the same grade as a very detailed letter. Larry decides to read Tanner's letter. Now remember, Larry can not say his "R's!" As Larry gets to the end of reading this letter where Tanner has written:

"Love Literally, Tanner."

And the rest the conversation goes as follows:


Larry: "You don't literally love the secretaries!"

Tanner: (being the sweet boy he was) "I literally love them!"

Larry: "No you don't, that's not possible!"

Tanner: "I really, literally love them."

Larry: "No, you literally love your mom and dad, but not the secretaries!"

Tanner: "And I literally love the secretaries too."

Larry: "No, you literally love your mom and dad, or your family, but not the secretaries."

Tanner: "I literally love them."

Larry: (as he shouts across the room to me) "Miss Finley, can Tanner literally love the secretaries?"

Miss Finley: "There are different types of love."

Tanner: "See!"
Larry: "Hm, I still don't think you can literally love them."

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

I just LOVE kids and the crazy things that come out of their mouths. It's awesome that you are keeping a record of all of this, it is such a joy!

JRome said...

I miss working with kids! I'm sure it gets crazy more times than you'd like, but it's good to know you're leaning towards the positive.

By the way, I just noticed, care to explain the grouping of your friends? What honor do I get for being a Mustang?

Unknown said...

Speaking of crazy kids--I saw Mr. Warner this week--you taught him in kindergarten--me in 1st...I just love that kid! I was on bus duty and every day he came and gave me a big hug! Remember when he used to come up and sing me songs every day about loving school--ah...those were the days...

Tiffany said...

Kids rock! I love Mr. Warner! He was a favorite (shhh, don't tell anyone)!

Jrome...you get the honor of being a Mustang because I met you when I was a Mustang...so for as long as I have been alive, I've always gone to school...each school has a Mascott and I happend to meet you in my Mustang Era!

PS all my new friends will be Tigers!

Tiffany said...

Kids rock! I love Mr. Warner! He was a favorite (shhh, don't tell anyone)!

Jrome...you get the honor of being a Mustang because I met you when I was a Mustang...so for as long as I have been alive, I've always gone to school...each school has a Mascott and I happend to meet you in my Mustang Era!

PS all my new friends will be Tigers!

View Count

About Me

Life as it for Tiffany Finley is quite the revolving door, one activity ends and I’m back on the rebound, looking for something to spice it up! Live it up, I tell you! Although, those who know me well, know my limits of “living it up!” A whirlwind of terrible singing, dancing, playful banter, blunt responses, sweet and endearing but firm and serious remarks to children, speaking/slaughtering accents that I’ve spun from memory, are a just a few of my favorite things….I delight in waking to the sunrise, driving to an incredible place of work, where I am able to express my true self regularly! My students call me "Crazy. ” This is where the song and dance comes into play, whether we are learning about adjectives or writing our names on our papers, I’ve got a song and cheer for it all! I’m passionate about traveling and walking down narrow pathways. In my spare time, I enjoy taking walks in the park…I’ve been known to disappear in the dark of the night, only to be found on the swings. I also love to organize and re-organize, I can never quite get things right. I thoroughly enjoy people watching.